The Power of Reading to your Child – Early Start Speaker Series 2019
Reading is one of the most powerful things you can do with a child to develop their vocabulary, early literacy skills and cognitive ability. The benefits go far beyond the words on the page.
Our final Speaker Series for 2019 focuses on children’s literacy from birth to six years.
Come and hear from UOW Early Start Associate Professor Jane Herbert and Senior Lecturer Elisabeth Duursma as they guide you through the best ways to read to your child and the benefits it brings.
What you’ll learn:
- What makes a good book reading session
- What happens in your child’s brain when you read to them
- How to read their favourite book 1000 times (and stay sane)
- How storybooks can help build numeracy skills
- What different readers (Dads/Grandparents) bring to the stories they read
- How to incorporate digital books into reading
Date: Tuesday 19 November
Time: 6pm – 7.30pm
Location: Building 21 Room G08
Attendees can park in the Discovery Space car park (limited spaces available) or P4 and will be directed to the correct room.
Cost: $15/non-members, $7.50/members, $7.50/Engagement Centres