What? Marine excursions along the Coal Coast led by a qualified marine scientist,
teacher and Dr of beaches, rivers and rocks. During a Discovery Day you’ll learn about:
- The Indigenous history of the Illawarra and cultural significance of our backyard,
- The types of rocks and fossils present (beachworms and trees older than the dinosaurs),
- The marine-life in our rock pools (octopus, sea hares, sea urchins, elephant snails),
- The plants and animals washed up along the high-tide line (beachcombing),
- The importance of looking after our waterways from the escarpment to the coast,
- Aspects of beach/rockpool safety and ettiquete (what’s safe to touch).
Excursions are tailored to the various ages of group participants and any specific interests you might have, inspiring both young kids and big kids; with 3yos to grandparents having a great day out and unique shared learning experience exploring the beautiful coastline we live on. Each participant earns an explorers Beach Badge sticker and the skills to explore the coast on their own!
When? See current timetable for Summer.
How long? Hands-on excursions run for 2 hours around low-tide.
How many? Small groups of 10-15 explorers.
How much? 1 kid = $30, 2 kids = $55, 3 kids = $75, 4 kids = $95 etc, + accompanying adult/s = $10 (family/coastal packages available).
Sounds fun! How do I get involved? Email [email protected] to book!
Testimonials from Spring School Holidays 2020:
"We had a wonderful morning with Elyssa. I’ve explored rock pools a lot with my kids, and was amazed at how many new wonders she had to share. My two kids are still talking about it. Of all the fun excursions and outings we did these holidays, this one had the most impact. We will be back :)"
"We had an awesome excursion at the rock platform and beach this afternoon. Facilitated by Elyssa (a UOW Marine Science Lecturer and excellent role model) we learnt where to find and how to identify the many cool creatures that we’ve stepped over countless times. Also covered was the Indigenous history and geological info of our local beach. Coal Coast Discovery Days…look it up!"
"Over a week since Tilly went on her coalcoastdiscoverydays tour and she’s still talking about it. Hands on play and learning is the best."
June 16, 2021 12:06 pm local time
Sandon Point, Point street, Wollongong, New South Wales 2516, Australia